What is a Consent Decree With Children Document?

This is the final order dissolving your marriage or granting you a legal separation. It shows the court that you and your spouse (Petitioner and Respondent) have come to agreement on all the major issues surrounding your divorce.

Complete Your Consent Decree Today

Your free Access Legal account will guide you through completing the legal documents you need. Sign up today to browse the family court docs. Remember, there is no charge until you are ready to download your completed document.

Take Note

What Must I Complete Before Submitting the Consent Decree?

There are several documents and steps that must be complete before you may submit your Consent Decree to the court. We’ve outlined them below.

At least 60 days must pass after the Dissolution of Marriage Petition was served (or signed an Acceptance of Service) before you may submit a consent decree to the court.

Before submitting your consent decree, you and your spouse must prepare and sign (in front of a notary) a written settlement agreement. The settlement agreement resolves all issues, including:

  • Division of property
  • Division of bills/payments
  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Parenting time
  • Child decision making authority
  • And more

Other requirements include paying all filing or other fees associated with the case and attending a parenting class. Arizona law requires all parents to attend a parenting class and submit the certificate providing proof of attendance to the court. Find out more about that here.

Because you’re submitting a Consent Decree With Children Document, there are additional required documents, including a Parenting Plan. Learn how to construct a Parenting Plan here.

Finally, you will present the Consent Decree to the judge for his/her signature. Note: If either you or your spouse was represented by an attorney, the attorney must sign the document too.

If the judge finds the Consent Decree acceptable and the 60-day period has passed, he/she will sign the decree and grant you the legal separation or dissolution of marriage (divorce).